The goal of the educational outreach is to provide educators with the resources and support needed to help students do the following:
- Examine the geographic, scientific, and other discoveries made by the expedition to learn why it's considered one of the most successful expeditions in U.S. history
- Identify and analyze the short- and long-term effects of the expedition, including how the expedition affected Native American tribes in the region
- Develop complex and systematic reasoning about expedition-related decisions
- Participate in collaborative assignments
- Improve their knowledge of and skills required to use multimedia resources as tools in the learning process
The educational outreach was targeted to middle school American history teachers and their students, but the resources can also be adapted for use with elementary or high school students.
The social studies, math, science, and language arts lessons on the Web site correlate to the national McREL standards located online at www.mcrel.org.